Wednesday, September 26, 2007

18th September, Delhi

Just three and a half hours after leaving Bangkok I was in Delhi.

After collecting my bag and making my way through customs I eventually found my driver, among hundreds of others, holding a sign with my name. We left the terminal and he led the way to his car.

My first impression was crazy, it was so different to anything I'd experienced. It felt like stepping back in time. It was hotter and more humid than Bangkok, it was busy, dusty and loud... The taxi's I found unexpected - I didn't realise they would be the old British models like in the photo below (wasn't quite this busy).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Also, I find the people to have such an old-fashioned style, like they've come from the 60's.

Beggars would approach us when we stopped at lights, and there were so many people, young and old sleeping on the footpath... I think Old Delhi was the worst.

I was surprised at the vegetation - it was very green, but everywhere else was so dirty... rubbish piled everywhere... old tyre's stacked on to rooftops of decaying old buildings.... cows finding food wherever they could.

An hour later we were at the Tibetan refugee area which was where my hotel was.


No comments: