Saturday, October 6, 2007

19th - 20th September, The World's Arse

Delhi is horrible.

I spent the first day with a rickshaw driver visiting some of the sights.... the park where Gandhi was cremated, some place with a big tall pillar thing, the Bahai Temple of Worship (that looks like the Sydney Opera House) bla bla bla.

Thing is, I found the people and how they were living far more interesting than the sights. I saw a naked old man that was so skinny he looked like he was about to turn to dust, other people lying on the street looking dead, people shitting and pissing, a few cows, had a child run after my rickshaw 'cause she wanted my pepsi, and an abundance of other beggars with an array of deformities.

I was talking with a man during breakfast that ran a Tibetan monestary in Dharmasala. He suggested that I go and stay, it sounded nice so I booked a bus for the next day.

My malaria pills had been giving me crazy dreams. That night I woke up and thought I'd slept-walked to the port (Delhi has no port). I freaked out, fossicked for the torch in my bag and realised, with much relief, that I was still in my room.

The second day was similar to the first. Visited the Red-fort then tried to stray from the tourist spot and go for a meal down one of the busy local streets. I got half way down and turned back, it was too much.

I went back to catch my bus. Before boarding I gave money to a wheel-chair bound midget beggar who had weird stubs for feet and hands... he talked like a cartoon elf.

No comments: