Monday, September 24, 2007

17th - 18th September, No sleep 'til.... Delhi.

Reluctantly I had to leave Ko Tao. I was to take a ferry to Ko Samui where I'd spend one night before flying at 6am the next morning to Bangkok and then on to Delhi.

I arrived on the island and took a transfer taxi to an area that's relatively close to the airport, not realising that it's really expensive and accommodation was scarce.


After walking down the main road for a while I visited a guesthouse where a German guy overheard me enquiring and suggested that we share his double room. That was good enough for me, and pretty lucky too, so I dropped off my bags and headed back down for dinner.


After dinner and a few beers we decided to head out and visit some of Samui's bars... 6am's not that early.


We stopped by a convenience store to buy some walking beer before arriving at a bar where we ordered a bucket, as you do in Thailand, of whiskey and coke. Perhaps not too sensible as a bucket of Thai whiskey tends to go straight to your head.


From that bar we went to another, then another, then another. Met some random Brits and Irish and talked shit with them. The bars were crazy, lots of working girls and lady-boys around the place. Saw an older gentleman walking down the street with a Thai girl on each arm. The island is completely different to Ko Tao, so much bigger and more commercial - made me glad that I'd opted to spend my remaining days relaxing on Tao.

All of a sudden it was 4.30am and my taxi was arriving to pick me up at 4.50. I downed my last drink, possibly unnecessarily, and raced back to the guesthouse where I had just enough time to grab my bags before jumping in the taxi.


I was in a great mood checking in at the airport, chatting to a few of the other passengers who were so boring having just woken up. From what I remember, Ko Samui airport is really strange. The check-in area is a hut and from there you take a weird open-sided bus to somewhere else (memory hazy) and then another before boarding the plane. Once in the sky I started sobering before landing at Bangkok where I felt like shit.

I had the day to wait for my connecting flight so I'd previously decided to visit one of the major attractions that I'd missed during my previous visits; the Grand Palace. Annoyingly Thai airways didn't let me check in my bag so I had to lug it around with me all day.

After getting off the bus at Khao San Road I sat at a cafe for breakfast. My hangover was punishing. I forced down my omelette and juice and sat there for about an hour, by myself, I may have fallen asleep.

Eventually I got up the energy to make my way to the palace. It was alright, I think it would have been more enjoyable if it hadn't been so hot, I didn't have my massive bag with me and I didn't feel like curling up and dying in a corner somewhere.


The hours soon passed and so did my hangover. I made my way back to the airport, checked in and waited to board my flight to Delhi. Was just a little scared.













No comments: