Monday, August 27, 2007

21st August, Bangkok City, Bangkok

One night in Bangkok... it is busy.

I got up ridiculously early, around 6am, to go discover Bangkok. After a bit of a walk around the area I flagged down a non-english speaking taxi driver and tried pronouncing where I wanted to go. He had no idea. In the end we agreed on Khao-San Road which is the real backpacker area. That was fine as it's close to most of the sights.

I got a tuk-tuk driver to take me to view the sights, I had him for half the day and saw some spectacular temples & Buddha's, got fitted for a suit, booked my tickets to Cambodia (which I later found was a scam, and I was overcharged... beginners mistake) before being dropped back to Khao-San Road where I walked round the markets for a few hours.

Turns out that when you zip off the legs of my zip-off pants, the shorts are short... too short. So I bought some new ones, so as to avoid offending the locals with my pasty chicken legs.

I had another two meals and a couple of beers, as I am greedy and it is all dirt cheap. Then walked to the river where I got over charged for a long-tail boat ride trip round the canals. I was the only one on the boat, which could fit around 30 people, and my long-tail boat driver seemed quite incompetent - I had to help him stabilise a couple of times. But we arrived back safe and sound and it was definitely worth doing. There are houses on stilts that look as if they're about to sick in to the water (some already have) and we saw some giant lizard thingy... I bought myself and the driver a beer from an old lady in a boat.

Went back to hotel and had a swim to wash Bangkok off me....




1 comment:

Tui said...

Bahaha what a pity about your beloved zip offs